Monday, October 30, 2006

On Money

I've been wanting to write about our philosophy on finances and support for awhile. The things I will share are the personal convictions of Kelly and I. SIM as an organization, and other missionaries within SIM all hold some differing convictions in this area, yet all of us hold to the conviction that God is our provider and ultimately we trust Him alone for our finances and wellbeing, thus giving Him all the glory.

Our family has made the following declaration. "If God was to take everything away from us, yet leave us Jesus Christ, He would be enough." This means that, if God was to take my family, if God was to take my wife, if God was to take my sight, hearing or speech, if God were to take my health, still Jesus would be enough.

This is a daring declaration and yet we see this type of contentment reflected in many of the Apostle Paul's statements.

With regards to financial support the Apostle Paul says:
> I have experienced times of need and times of abundance. In any and
> every circumstance I have learned the secret of contentment,
> whether I go satisfied or hungry, have plenty or nothing. I am able
> to do all things through the one who strengthens me. Phi 4:12-13)

With regards to his present suffering he says:
> We are .... as unknown, and yet well-known; as dying and yet (see!)
> we continue to live; as those who are scourged and yet not
> executed; as sorrowful,but always rejoicing, as poor, but making
> many rich, as having nothing, and yet possessing everything. (2Co
> 6:9-10)

Paul expands on this "everything" in these verses:
> God is the reason you have a relationship with Christ Jesus, who
> became for us wisdom from Him, and righteousness and sanctification
> and redemption,
> (1Co 1:30)
> Blessed is the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has
> blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms in
> Christ. For he chose us in Christ before the foundation of the world
> that we may be holy and unblemished in his sight in love.
> (Eph 1:3-4)

And finally with regards to his past Paul says:
> More than that, I now regard all things as liabilities compared to the
> far greater value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have
> suffered the loss of all things ( indeed, I regard them as dung! )
> that I may gain Christ,
> (Phi 3:8)

As Christ has become more and more to Kelly and I we find our selves wanting fewer and fewer things. We find that the more we treasure Him, the less we treasure the things, the comforts and the conveniences of the world. We find ourselves striving more to know Christ and less to please ourselves. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a nice air conditioned room and a big scoop of ice cream as much as the next guy, but we are not striving for these things.

As Christ has become more and more to us, we find ourselves needing fewer and fewer things. Whenever I am asked if we need something here on the mission field, I always find it difficult to give an answer. God has promised us food and shelter and I guess that's about all we "need". It is true that there are somethings that would make ministry and life easier, but that does not always constitute a need. We needed a way to sort through what was truly a need and what was just something that would make things easier.

This is where prayer and dependence on the Lord comes in. When we think we have a need, we just begin praying about it. We are confident that if it is a need that the Lord wants us to have, then He will provide the opportunity or funds to provide for that need. We are confident that He will prompt others to give towards our needs even though we have not asked them. So when we see the Lord's provision we are left without a doubt that this was something we needed in order for us to do God's will in our life and ministry.

Dr James H Taylor, great grandson of Hudson Taylor gives several guiding principles in the preface of the book "When God Provides" that sum up what I have been saying,

1. "God is dependable"
2. We are willing to, but "we do not need to talk to man about our needs"
3. Prayer is key
4. We choose to live simply
5. "God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply"

May we all grow in our dependence on God and our satisfaction in
knowing Christ.

No comments: